- Project Status:
The UNU-CPR Geneva Office was established in June 2022 with the generous support of the Swiss Government. The Geneva Office helps to expand UNU-CPR’s support across the UN system, collaborate with the full range of policy actors in Geneva International, and help to bridge the policy ecosystems in Geneva and New York. The Geneva Office is able to draw from the expertise of the broader UNU-CPR team in New York, while also partnering with the wide range of policy actors in Geneva and beyond.
UNU-CPR’s Geneva-based work benefits from a broad range of partnerships, including with the Executive Office of the Secretary-General, UNIDIR, IOM, UN Foundation, The Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime, Plataforma CIPÓ, Migration for Development and Equality (MIDEQ), adelphi, and the Effectiveness of Peace Operations Network. Over the coming period, the Geneva Office will be looking to broaden its collaborations with other policy actors in the Geneva ecosystem and contribute to the vibrant community in Geneva International.
- The High-Level Advisory Board on Effective Multilateralism: In partnership with the Executive Office of the Secretary-General, UNU-CPR’s Geneva Office co-leads secretariat support to the High-Level Advisory Board on Effective Multilateralism.
- Managing Exits from Armed Conflict: In partnership with UNIDIR, UNU-CPR’s Geneva Office supports the work of a multi-country, multi-year research consortium focused on armed group reintegration.
- The Bridge: In partnership with Universal Rights Group, UNU-CPR’s Geneva Office is supporting “The Bridge,” an innovative tracking and analysis tool for understanding and engaging with the work of the Human Rights Council, the Security Council, and the General Assembly.
- Crime/Conflict and Multilateralism: In partnership with the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime, UNU-CPR’s Geneva Office is developing new research examining the links between illicit economies and conflict.
- Climate-security: In partnership with adelphi and in support of the UN’s Climate Security Mechanism, UNU-CPR’s Geneva Office is developing new research on the links between climate change and insecurity. For previous publications, see here.
- Peace Operations and Human Rights: As part of the Effectiveness of Peace Operations Network, UNU-CPR has led past studies on peace operations and contributed to the development of a better understanding of their impact. Over the 2022-23 period, the Geneva Office will lead a study on the role of human rights in peace operations.
- Sanctions Derisking: Building on its past work on Sanctions & Mediation and Sanctions and Humanitarian Action, UNU-CPR is partnering with Erica Moret from the Graduate Institute to develop new research on sanctions derisking.